Sulfate is a salt formed by a combination of sulfuric acid and a base. Sulfate is obtained by reacting sulfuric acid with metals, their hydroxides and carbonates, or oxidising a sulfide; some organic sulfates are also known, such as methyl sulfate and alkaloid sulfates used in medicine. Sulfate has been used in shampoos for many years. However, science and hair expect discovered that Sulfate is not a good friend to our hair.
Sulfate-free shampoos are less aggressive than the “normal” shampoos and make hair look healthier and shinier. While it is true that Sulfate is not harmful to the scalp, it does tend to dry out the hair, and in the case of coloured hair, they affect the colour, causing it to lose intensity.
If you want your colour to last longer, then Sulfate-free shampoos are probably the best option for you. They are especially recommended for oily hair, as Sulfates tend to create a rebound effect that generates even more oil.
Benefits of using Sulfate-free shampoos
- Moisture retention is greater, and this favours shine.
- They provide the necessary hydration and nutrition, making constant use of masks unnecessary.
- Sulfate-free shampoo prevents hair breakage.
- In the case of coloured hair, it helps to maintain the colour.
- It favours the production of fat, which is why its use is very favourable for dry hair.
- It does not produce irritations on the scalp.
- They are respectful of the environment.