Choosing the right plastic surgeon for yourself will be a choice that you will live with forever. A good plastic surgeon will perform a clean and skilled procedure and will give you greater confidence for years to come. On the other hand, ending up in the hands of an untrained or unskilled plastic surgeon would mean more complications, cost, and heartache.
This article will help you choose the right plastic surgeon for yourself.
How to Find a Plastic Surgeon in Five Steps
- Choose a board-certified plastic surgeon:
Make sure to choose a plastic surgeon who is certified by the board of plastic surgeons. Plastic surgery is a highly specialized field that requires years of education and training. Nowadays, general surgeons or surgeons of other fields jump on the cosmetic surgery bandwagon. So you need to be very keen when choosing a plastic surgeon.
Make sure to choose a plastic surgeon who is certified in the subspecialty of the procedure you are considering. There are many subspecialties of cosmetic surgery and every field requires distinct expertise. For example, operating on a nose with bone, cartilage, and airways is completely different as compared to operating on breast tissue with a greater amount of fat. Given this, you may ask your surgeon about his field of expertise.
- Pay attention to how the surgeon and staff treat you:
Undergoing surgery is a great deal and you need to evaluate the environment of the hospital and how the staff and surgeon make you feel. Choose a plastic surgeon who you trust completely. Also, check reviews of other patients that have undergone the procedure you are considering.
- Choose a surgeon whose aesthetic sense allures you:
A thing that attracts another person doesn’t necessarily mean that it will appeal to you too. So, do not totally depend on your friend’s opinion or the surgeon’s experience. Do your own homework as well.
- Look at before and after pictures of the previous patients. Compare the results with other surgeons’ results.
- Pay close attention to those patients who have similar facial features as yours, same age, and same concerns.
- Look for the consistency of the surgeon’s work. Do the results look like what you would want to look after the surgery?
- For breast procedures, look for patients that have the same features, torso, and breast shape. For example, if you have wide-spaced, small, asymmetrical breasts, the before and after pictures will give you a sense of what the outcome of the procedure will be.
- Consider gender:
Consider the gender of your plastic surgeon so you would be comfortable discussing personal details with him/her. When it comes to surgery, it is better to consider the same gender for a comfortable experience.
Choosing a Plastic Surgeon? Here Are the Top 5 Things You Need to Know. (2020, July 10). Retrieved from Cleveland Clinic
Salemy, S. (2019, January 18). How to find a plastic surgeon. Retrieved from American Society of Plastic Surgeons
Patient Safety: How to Choose a Plastic Surgeon
What's Your Reaction?
Nouha is a passionate journalist and a beauty lover with valuable knowledge in the health and wellness industry. Nouha worked closely with nurses and doctors treating patients with diabetes, sleeping disorder and anxiety. Nouha is currently studying to become a nurse at the University of Glasgow, Scotland.