Minerva Labs Research.
Collagen is an essential scaffold protein that gives smoothness and elasticity to skin, and strength and flexibility to muscles and joints. Collagen makes up most connective tissue and over 90% of young skin is made of collagen. It provides the mattress underpinning soft youthful skin and cushioning to protect joints. In the skin, it is produced by cells called fibroblasts that also produce elastin and hyaluronic acid which maintain the skin’s essential moisture and elasticity.
Once you turn 20, the ability to replenish collagen in the body naturally decreases and collagen diminishes of about 1.5% every year. The density of collagen and elastin in the dermis declines, hence the structure and elasticity/firmness of the skin degrades, causing it to become thinner and more rigid. The skin appears loose and sags. Lines and furrows emerge to enable movement. Gravity then pulls on the skin, all leading to sagging eyelids, bags under the eyes and jowls. The fall in collagen also results in the loss of hyaluronic acid. This reduces the moisture, suppleness and elasticity of the skin. Research studies have shown that external environmental factors such as pollution or sun damage due to UV rays and lifestyle habits (alcohol consumption, smoking and dieting) can also cause skin ageing and a decrease in collagen. It is, therefore, important to regularly take collagen in order to maintain healthy skin and consequently a youthful appearance.
Boost Your Collagen Level
Research projects around the world have already demonstrated it may be possible not only to improve supplies of collagen in the skin and connective tissues by consuming collagen-based nutraceuticals but also to boost the natural production of this essential building block that makes up 30% of the total protein mass in mammals.
Minerva Research Labs is one of the leading innovators in this new research field. Interesting research results regarding GOLD COLLAGEN® supplements have already been published in several peer-reviewed journals and have ignited widespread interest from a number of British and international academic research groups.
GOLD COLLAGEN® liquid supplements are based on patented formulations comprising collagen-derived bioactive peptides and natural powerful antioxidants and have been shown to significantly improve skin hydration and elasticity, reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. The efficacy of GOLD COLLAGEN® range of innovative beauty liquid supplements has been proved in numerous clinical trials and these products are considered good in the everyday fight against skin ageing.
In the past 5 years, Minerva Research Labs published 10 articles in peer-reviewed scientific and medical journals showing the beneficial effects of GOLD COLLAGEN® products on skin properties, such as skin hydration, skin elasticity and the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. GOLD COLLAGEN® products are innovative nutraceuticals containing collagen bioactive peptides blended with other active compounds, such as antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. The effects measured on skin properties after supplementation with these nutraceuticals are statistically significant. These effects are not due to collagen peptides only but to the whole powerful formulations of GOLD COLLAGEN® products, which also have been granted EU and US patents.
Minerva Research Labs’ latest publications in Nutrition Research and Scientific Reports (June 2018), and in Skin Pharmacology and Physiology (May 2017), reported the following beneficial effects of GOLD COLLAGEN® products.
- “Daily oral supplementation with collagen peptides combined with vitamins other bioactive compounds improves skin elasticity and has a beneficial effect on joint and general wellbeing” published in Nutrition Research, June 2018 (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0271531717311508), reports the results of a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled clinical trial carried out by an independent clinic in Rome (Italy) by Professor Andrea Corbo and his team of experts, investigating and measuring the effects of daily oral supplementation with Gold Collagen® Active on skin properties, joint health and general wellbeing. This new study provides an insight into the skin and joint benefits related to the daily consumption of the oral liquid nutraceutical Gold Collagen® Active, which contains a patented complex of collagen bioactive peptides, hyaluronic acid, glucosamine, maca, black pepper extract and L-carnitine, boosted with glucosamine, chondroitin, vitamins and minerals.
The clinical trial was conducted on 120 healthy volunteer subjects who ingested Gold Collagen® Active daily for 90 days. The subjects were divided into two groups: 61 subjects drank 1 bottle of the test product and the other 59 subjects consumed 1 bottle of placebo daily. The outcome measurements were related to skin elasticity and architecture, joint discomfort and joint mobility.
- – Anu Muona: Type XV collagen. “Complete structures of the human Col15A1and mouse Col15a1genes, location of type XV collagen protein in mature and developing mice, and generation of mice expressing truncated type XV collagen”,
- Acta Universitatis Ouluensis D 662, 2001.
- – Dr. Sal Martingano, one of the nation’s (Florida) acknowledged collagen experts and researchers, speaking in a taped national radio broadcast appearance, “Reasons for aging”, 2002
- – Brincat M, Kabalan S, Studd JW, Moniz CF, de Trafford J, Montgomery J. A study of the decrease of skin collagen content, skin thickness, and bone mass in the postmenopausal woman. Obstet Gynecol 1987; 70(6):840-845.
- – Brincat M, Moniz CF, Kabalan S, Versi E, O’Dowd T, Magos AL et al. Decline in skin collagen content and metacarpal index after the menopause and its prevention with sex hormone replacement. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1987; 94(2):126-129.
- – Castelo-Branco C, Duran M, Gonzalez-Merlo J. Skin collagen changes related to age and hormone replacement therapy. Maturitas 1992; 15(2):113-119.
- – Shuster S, Black MM, McVitie E. The inﬂuence of age and sex on skin thickness, skin collagen and density. Br J Dermatol 1975;93(6):639–643.
What's Your Reaction?
DR. David Reilly is an enthusiastic and experienced Life Sciences & Skincare scientist, with a long accomplished career of successful delivery in Personal Care and Nutritional Health categories. Head of R&D at Minerva Research Labs - London