Causes to Dark Circles.
Periorbital hyperpigmentation or dark under-eye circles, is a common complaint in the medical cosmetic practice. Dark under-eye circles are caused due to various reasons. Some of these reasons include:
- Sleep deprivation: Being unable to obtain an adequate amount of restorative sleep during the night can cause our blood vessels to dilate, leading to an increase in blood flow. The skin under our eyes is thinner in comparison to the rest of the face, and so the blood vessels tend to be closer to the surface of the skin. This is why, the tinge around our eyes becomes more prominent, when there is an increase in the volume of blood due to lack of sleep.
- Thin under-eye skin: With age, the skin under the eyes becomes even thinner and translucent, causing the blood vessels in the under – eye area, to become more observable. This is because, as we age, the amount of collagen produced by our body, begins to decrease. Collagen aids in repairing and restoring dead skin cells.
Other causes of thin under-eye skin can be due to:
- UV rays from sun exposure or from tanning beds
- Medication and under-lying health conditions
- Life style and habits
- Genetic predisposition: Dark circles can become more pronounced when you have deep set/hollow eyes, tear troughs, or a darker skin tone. These physical traits could be a result of your age, lifestyle, habits or type of work. They could also be genetic and run in families.
Treatment for dark under-eye circles:
Advancement in clinical scientific research has contributed towards the development of potent products, that could have the potential for successful treatment of periorbital hyperpigmentation. Different under – eye creams have been formulated to lighten and hydrate the fragile skin around the eyes, encourage new cells to grow, and reduce the signs of aging. Some of these products have been mentioned below, based on online research, feedback and customer reviews.
- RoC Retinol Correxion Sensitive Eye Cream: It contains a mild quantity of retinol, combined with hyaluronic acid.
- Olay Regenerist Eye Regenerating Cream Plus Touch of Concealer: This under-eye cream contains vitamin B3 to lighten dark circles, and peptides to augment collagen.
- SkinCeuticals A.G.E. Eye Complex for Dark Circles: It contains flavonoids and synergistic peptides that help reduce dark circles.
- Eminence Hibiscus Ultra Lift Eye Cream: This cream contains a combination of Hibiscus, caffeine and stevia extract. Hibiscus – the main ingredient, helps increase elasticity and hydration.
- Peach & Lily Pure Peach Retinoic Eye Cream: For dry, normal and oily skin, this vegan, gluten – free product contains ingredients such as bamboo extract, niacin amide, and peach extract.
- PCA SKIN Ideal Complex Restorative Eye Cream: Its ingredients include: Myristoyl Nonapeptide-3 and orange stem cell extract, that minimize dark circles and help reduce crow’s feet.
- The Inkey List Caffeine Eye Cream: Its key ingredient which is caffeine, works along with other ingredients, to reduce fine lines and under-eye fatigue.
- Kiehl’s Facial Fuel Eye De-Puffer: This is a light-weight cooling, eye stick. It’s main ingredient is hibiscus, which helps reduce dark circles, eye puffiness and fine lines.
- Drunk Elephant C-Tango Multivitamin Eye Cream: For sensitive skin tones, this product contains five forms of vitamin C to help brighten uneven skin tones, and increase skin firmness. It also provides protection against UV rays and pollution.
- Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair: This is a night cream with lightweight texture. Its repair technology repairs damage caused by sleep deprivation, UV exposure, pollution and blue light.
- True Botanicals Resurrection Radiance Eye Cream: The key ingredients in this product include- Resurrection plant extract, licorice extract, turmeric and coffee. These ingredients work to reduce dark circles and puffiness. They also help to plump and hydrate the skin, as well as brighten the eye area.
Skin care products and cosmetics need to combined along with a healthy lifestyle, to achieve the best results.
Why Do I Have Dark Circles Under My Eyes?
What's Your Reaction?
Samira is a Middle-Eastern beauty expert passionate about skincare and makeup. Samira lived in different Arabic countries and worked in some of the most prestigious beauty centres in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Doha. That is how Samira acquired most of her knowledge about beauty and the Arabic skincare rituals.