What is DermaPen and How Does it Make Your Skin Better?
DermaPen Explained: Procedure, Benefits, and Care
DermaPen is a microneedling device that aims to reduce wrinkles, fine lines, and acne scars. Microneedling is a dermatologic procedure that basically involves the use of a Dermaroller or a pen called a DermaPen. DermaPen is derived from two words ‘dermatology’ and ‘pen’ because this small dermatology treatment device resembles a pen in appearance.
The DermaPen device contains either 12 or 36 sterilised mini-needles that help create tiny pricks within the epidermis (outer layer of skin) and part of the dermis (inner layer of skin) through its automatic, high-speed vibrating function. The DermaPen creates pricks within your skin quickly and dramatically, thus reducing pain and discomfort.
The dermatologist holds the DermaPen in a vertical position and only then turns on the small motor inside the pen. This causes the needles to move back and forth and create tiny punctures within your skin. Apart from moving back and forth, the needles also rotate slightly and open up pores along with puncturing the top layers of your skin. This signals the skin to begin the healing process, leaving the skin refreshed and rejuvenated.
Parts of DermaPen
- Electric hand piece (this part plugs into the wall for stability and a constant source of power)
- Disposable needle tip (this part contains 12 microneedles)
Benefits of DermaPen
Here are a few benefits of DermaPen microneedling:
- Wrinkles and fine lines
- Acne scars
- Stretch marks
- Skin tightening and skin rejuvenation
- Surgical or trauma scars
- Under eye wrinkles
- Sun damage
- Large pores
- Uneven skin tone
- It is an easy, safe and effective procedure
- Minimum downtime with no major side effects
- Improvement of overall skin tone and texture
- Can be combined with other dermatological procedures such as PRP (Platelet-Rich Plasma) to obtain faster and enhanced results.
What Care is Required after the Procedure?
- Apply sunscreen after the procedure and avoid unnecessary sun exposure.
- Use the medications or topical creams as directed by your dermatologist.
- Avoid the use of fragrant skincare products after the procedure.
- Avoid the use of harsh chemicals such as glycolic acid, AHAs, or retinoids after the procedure.
The Side Effects
The side effects are only mild and include redness, swelling, and mild pain. You may feel minor discomfort during the procedure but the use of a numbing cream before the procedure can reduce this discomfort.
Is DermaPen the Same as Microneedling?
DermaPen is basically a brand name for a microneedling device. DermaPen is different from the traditional microneedling roller which is a wheel covered with mini needles. DermaPen contains microscopic needles and comes with a function to adjust the depth of penetration, not very deep penetration of these needles is useful in sensitive areas. Moreover, DermaPen comes with disposable surgical-grade needles for patient safety.
Microneedling Treatments. (n.d.). Retrieved from DermaPen
World-Leading Microneedling Pen. (n.d.). Retrieved from DermaPen World
What's Your Reaction?
Samira is a Middle-Eastern beauty expert passionate about skincare and makeup. Samira lived in different Arabic countries and worked in some of the most prestigious beauty centres in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Doha. That is how Samira acquired most of her knowledge about beauty and the Arabic skincare rituals.